Saturday, November 07, 2009

Between the two lines.

Anyone who has used Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) technology knows the significance of those two lines...
The CGM graphs your sugars on a screen as they unfold horizontally over the day. The vertical placement of the curve on the graph is based on how high or low your blood glucose is. The middle section of the graph is bookended by the user's high and low glucose levels - it's like a game where you have to stay between the two lines.
When you're above that line, you're on edge and you might even take rage boluses to get back in range. When you're below... you're likely feeling low, so you eat or drink some carbs.

I've been a little stressed and pissy about diabetes lately because I was not spending enough time between the lines. It seemed for a while, like I was residing above, and it only passed through the middle section en route to a low or a high. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but that's how it feels when you're not in complete control.

Anyway, today has been great. The 3 hour graph shows two little breast-like bumps indicating the food I've eaten along with insulin I took to match. The 24 hour graph shows one high from yesterday evening that barely goes out of the range (due to delicious post-halloween candy eating) and then slowly coming down and a few little wiggles since about 6am.
I am allowing myself to be happy about this because I deserve it. I hope it will stay like this for a while, but who knows for how long. My sensor has been in for about 6 days now and I'm not sure how much longer I can leave it it. I still have no redness or discomfort from the site, and the readings have been pretty damned reliable.
[I just tested with my machine, and realize that it's off by quite a bit...]

There we go - I had a brief moment of happiness about my diabetes control, and now it's back to the reality.

In other news, I'm going to buy a nose-hair trimmer today. That's right, I still can't and probably will never be able to grow decent facial hair, but my nose hasn't been informed.
Every once in a while, my right nostril gets inflamed and really sensitive. I'm pretty sure it's from ingrown nose hairs, so I'm going to start taking the proactive approach of trimming.

That's about all for now. I need to do some more writing and then I'm going to the opera tonight.

No comments: