Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Magic!

What is it about magic that is so captivating?

I went to a big, shiny, dazzling spectacle of a magic show today. Two hours of pretty much every kind of trick you can imagine - Vegas style, with backup dancers and a moderately-modestly scantily-clad assistant.
It's not that I'm skeptical, but I spent most of the time trying to see the trick, trying to figure out how it's done. Mostly, I wouldn't want to be a naive observer.
At the same time, I don't want to know:

I remember when a bunch of my friends were into magic tricks as kids. I learned a few, but I was never able to get satisfaction from pulling the wool over other people's eyes. Once I understand the trick, it's ruined for me. Call me selfish, but I want to remain ignorant so I have claim to that sense of wonder.


After the magic show, I went for some food with a group of people I went to music school with. It was a delightful time and I loved hanging out with some of my most devoted readers.
A magical shout-out to Chief No-Balls, The Illustrious D, and a delightful Pet Wolf/Cow!
I believe I'll be spending new year's with the same group of people, so I'll leave that for another day.
Who knows if I'll have a chance to post again tomorrow, so 2009, I bid you adieu!

Here we go 2010!

2 comments:

The Illustrious D said...

Safe trip tomorrow, Mikey J.

Awesome to spend time together, as always.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should moo or howl...or something....