Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stupid spinning, mumbly stupid

There are not too many things or people that frustrate me to point of contemplating violence, but this is one of them:


I frickin' hate this bitch!
How is it possible that she combines two things that I love (spinning and dancers) and make me hate them so much?!?

Apparently there is actually some discussion on which direction she spins, but for the life of me, I can't even conceive of how she would spin in the opposite direction.

Let's start off with how stupid it is to use the words "left" and "right" when they clearly mean clockwise and counterclockwise! Regardless of what direction she appears to be moving, 50% of that motion will be left and 50% will be right, on the 2 dimensional plane.

Next, and well... really my only point is that I can only see it spinning clockwise. My roommate claims it spins the other way, but then it changes. Poeple online say that it can spin either way based on your right or left-brainedness, and that most people can change the direction.
I've tried everything, but it won't do anything else!!! ARRGH!

What about you, my loyal readers - does she spin clockwise or counter-clockwise, and can you change the way she spins?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek!
I read this yesterday and pondered it a bit, and today I woke up and what kind of an article was in my twitter feed? One on EXACTLY this. So, here is the answer to all your questions. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101221163836.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+sciencedaily+(ScienceDaily:+Latest+Science+News)

Michael Park said...

TIFFY,

You are my personal hero today! You also love Peep Show, and you send me a delightful article that debunks the stupid ballerina!

I tried looking at the spinning ballerina from every which angle, but she still only spins counter-clockwise for me, grrr..

Oh well, thanks Tiff!

lindsey said...

http://siddharth-on-life.blogspot.com/2010/07/spinning-ballerina-illusion.html

Michael Park said...

Lindsey,

Thanks for the link, for whatever reason, when I looked at the picture with a R on it, I was able to finally see it going counterclockwise!!!

You've made my day!