Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Superlatives All Around

I'm feeling a little hyperdramatic right now, probably because I just found out my summer travel to Europe is not happening.

So far this year has been the best and the worst, gah, mumbly!

a year ago, I'd accepted that due to time and budget, I was destined to not travel in the foreseeable future - when this free trip came into my life, I was overjoyed, now that it's slipped through my fingers, I'm back to where I started, only lower.
Free trip, my ass! With booking fees, reservation fees, taxes, and rail passes that are only partially refundable.. I'm taking a loss on this trip, even without going on it!

Speaking of taking a loss... this is the year of me getting financially screwed over. Lesson learned: never lend friends money unless you can survive without it - also, be realistic about how much money you're willing to throw into the garbage!

But it hasn't all been bad... earlier this year, I fell madly in love and was the happiest I'd ever been
for a while...
mumbly mumbly mumbly... heartbreak sucks

I feel like I really became a composer this year because I finally felt that twinge of hurt that comes when a performance of a piece you wrote is slaughtered. I won't name names, but I expected more; as I've learned many times this year, when you raise your hopes, you get to fall further... harder.

On the other hand, I've been fortunate to have some of the best performances of my works yet. Seeing performers take ownership not just of notes I've written, but the concept behind them has been beyond amazing!

Pianistically, things are going well - the entire month of August is full of paid piano gigs, and in the Fall, I'll be taking over someone's piano studio, teaching a few days a week, but enough to live meagerly off of - I'm finally joining the real world. 

Ok, I've rambled enough, though there is much more to rant AND rave about, but that's best saved for another day.

No comments: