Thursday, February 10, 2011

Well, I'm a far cry away from those years when I was posting every day, but I figure my loyal readers will forgive me!

As I'm sure I've mentioned, this is probably the busiest I've been in my life; at least, it seems like it.

After not playing piano for a while, it's felt good to get back to playing and serious practice, as I prepare for Michael Park and Friends 2!

My compositional productivity had reached an all-time low recently, and after a worrisome lesson last week, I started to weight priorities and the sort. For the first time in my career as a composer, I actually worked like a composer - I put my writing first (I mean, other than when a deadline necessitates it). You know what, I've loved it! I'm refreshed and inspired.
My lesson today went very well. Not that I had much more concrete music (not to be confused with music concrète), but I had done lots of work on sketches and defining my materials.
My teacher's reactions, questions, and insights into my work weren't overt, but I could not have asked for a better, more validating compliment:
We started with a meandering chat about how things change over time, and he was reflective of his 35 years teaching at UBC. The actual compliment came much later, when he said, 'you know, I've never seen anything quite like this, and I've taught well over a hundred students'.
It wasn't inherently positive or negative, he was just intrigued by the originality of my process.

And isn't that what everyone wants? To know that you're special, that you stand out from the crowd, and that you aren't just another drone?
Well, that's what I wanted!
I don't set out to be different; I feel like I fit in with other composers, but time and time again, people tell me that my creativity is unique and original. And just because it makes me feel so nice, I just might believe them for a while!

No comments: