Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The response to the call for submissions has been great! It's not overwhelming, but it's certainly a good start.

My roommate and I went swimming tonight. Why do I ever stop swimming?!? It's one of the few physical activities that I'm good at.
With that said, I sucked tonight! Being around 2 years since I last hit the pool, I'm not surprised. I imagine we swam for about 45 minutes, ish, and I swam 1000m. I feel good, and excited to make this a regular occurrence, and I'm even planning on giving myself some direction:
Decades ago, I got my bronze medallion, so my goal is to get myself back into the swimming shape that I once was. I looked up the H2O proficiency requirements online and I'm gonna start with the Bronze Star level, then work my way up.
First goal is to swim at about a minute per lap (25m). I'll do 400m sets until I can do them reliably in 12 minutes. There's also a 100m requirement for under 3 minutes, using one lap each of: lifesaving kick, backstroke, breast stroke, and freestyle.
I'll use 2 sets of each of those as my swim workout: 100m + 400m, then a sugar break, then another 100m + 400m. That'll give me a kilometer, and by the time I can fit that into the half hour box, ish, then I'll be ready for more meters anyway!
The pool we went to tonight also has a workout swim which is about 2000m... I'm going to work towards that, because that would be fantastic to do once or twice a week.

Sugars were trending gently downwards throughout the swim, even with half a pack of lifesavers during, and a complete disconnect from the pump for an hour or so... I'm thinking I might have to have some slower acting carbs before swimming, and start a decreased bolus before starting the swim, an hour or so before....but I just hate starting exercise with higher sugars... oh well, it's experiment time!

No comments: