Sunday, April 18, 2010

My début as a chanteur...

I've always sung in choirs, taken some singing lessons, and in undergrad I spent most of my time with the singers. Their quirky ways, the high drama, the loudness, and the effervescent airheadedness make me feel at home.
(you know I love you all)

But other than choirs, I've never really sang on my own for a recital or something. Well, that will be changing on Wednesday.

Gramps Ain't No Namby-Pamby is a duet I wrote for Bassoon and Baritone earlier this year. It's been finished since first term and I've had a bunch of baritones willing and interested in singing it, but the actual performance date has taken far too long to materialized. It wasn't until last week that the April 21'st performance date was confirmed.
On a week and a bit's notice, I got a mezzo soprano to agree...
[the two roles in the piece are grandfather and grandson, so this was kind of a gender-bending version]
long story short, a week and a bit was not enough time, so as of last night I will be performing the piece. I ran it through with my bassoonist and we're confident it will be pretty spectacular!

With any luck, Wednesday will be recorded and I can put up a recording. This is going to be a gong show, but in the best way imaginable!

3 comments:

The Illustrious D said...

"What size of COOKIE?!"

Airheadedness that.

Michael Park said...

Oh Davey, you have no idea how much joy that reference just brought to my day!

Touché, indeed.

Anonymous said...

The Petwolfe is a little insulted at being called an effervescent airhead.