Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Self-Review

So, as I mentioned, today I made my premiere as a baritone, haha!

Generally, the performance went quite well. One case of the giggles caused a small pause in the performance, but we regained our footing and got to the end relatively unscathed.

The piece itself was a success; the story was clear and people found it quite entertaining. I had been worried because the audience only hears half of the text. Everyone who has looked at the piece (myself, the bassoonist, and profs) have had the benefit of reading the full text, so I'm glad that I did a good enough job of doubling/implying the underlying text.

As a singer, I think I pulled it off. I'll be interested to hear the recording... I've never actually heard a recording of me singing, so it will be very... um... ya...
Hopefully there will be some salvageable bits that I can post on here and/or my website. I know that I wrote the piece, but that was way back in October; one week wasn't really enough to learn it. However, there's always the magic of character voices! I'm not a trained singer, so character voices gave me an excuse to not obsess about tone quality, etc.
As a baritone, some of those A's were awful low-feeling. I'll be interested to hear how those sound on the recording.

Long story short, this was phenomenally fun! I love performing, I love laughing, and I love making people laugh; this had all of those things in perfect harmony!

No comments: