Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Apparently, June has not been a good month for blogging.
It's also not been a good month for Kung Fu: I couldn't make it one of the weeks, another it was cancelled, and then all of a sudden, I haven't been in a month.

Comparatively, it's been a great month for composing. I wrote an artsong for the upcoming VISI ArtSong CoLab. While I had done a lot of the planning and prep-work over the last month or so, I did 95% of the work this past Sunday. Let this stand as a testament for me to remember, that I can compose quickly and I should do it more often. I simply need to reaffirm my desire to get lots of music written this summer!

I got a cheque in the mail the other day. It was pre-payment for a jazz standard I'm arranging for some couple's wedding. It's not great money, but the mere fact that they sent the cheque means that I need to get it done sooner than later.
Payment is always a good motivator!

Another project I'm working on is an improvised (ish) dialogue between a speaker and a pianist. My friend and I will be presenting it at a conference later this month. There are also tentative plans that it might be remounted in Toronto, outside of a conference atmosphere... SO I will need to find an intuitive form of notation suitable for another performer to use.

No comments: