Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Back to School

Well, it's that time of year again; the summer is over and it's back to the books!
This is 21'st year going back to school, so I'm pretty good at it by now. Luckily, school supplies have gotten a lot easier over the years.

Since I use the same materials all year round, I don't need to make a special trip to the stationary store, in fact, I have pens and pencils galore!
Textbooks are a thing of the past. For my classes, we are assigned readings each week from a wide variety of sources, each of which are available online through journals, or in the library to photocopy.
I'm glad I get to avoid all of the newness that I had last year - meeting new people, getting used to new profs, navigating new buildings, learning a new city. This year, I'm settled into Vancouver and UBC. I know pretty much what I need to know to make school happen; it's just like I'm picking up where we left off in April.

I was almost worried that I was going to have to switch my sleep schedule back to something more normal, but the only class I have scheduled so far is at 1pm. I shouldn't brag, but that only scheduled class I have this term doesn't even start until the day before I fly to Winnipeg, so tomorrow seems like an exceptionally arbitrary date for 'back-to-school' celebrations. However, that's how it's happening, so Hooray!

1 comment:

trah said...

I LOVE back to school! I'm only on year 19 tho, but the excitement of the first day hasn't diminished through the years. I bought my books through amazon this year so I can avoid the bookstore, tho I think I'll miss the hustle and bustle of the first week back (aka lineups and cranky people!). Have a great day 'back' at school!!