Monday, September 08, 2008

some new developments

Things are going pretty well.

They have finally unleashed the information and details about the insulin pump coverage. There is no age restriction, so I will be getting one.  Now, I have to start jumping through the hoops.
I need to:
Get an Ontario Health Card
Get referred to the diabetes pump training centre(which I thought I had already done... since I had an appointment with them this morning)
Get referred to an Endocrinologist so that THEY can preperly refer me to the diabetes pump training centre (see above).
Go to dieticians and information sessions about insulin pumps so that they can qualify if I am a suitable candidate for insulin pump therapy.
And who knows what else they will see fit.  Once that stuff is done, they will help me to fill in the paper work for the funding.
The good thing is that I have a good deal of certainty that I will actually be getting a pump and there is no deadline I have to deal with.  I can proceed at my own speed.

As of today, I've officially dumped my original thesis project.
This is actually a big change.  I had been dwindling the idea for a while in my mind, but only on Friday did I acknowledge to myself that it's a real possibility to dump it.  I thought of it over the weekend and, having found a suitable replacement project, I'm super confident that I'm making the right decision.
This will give me an extra few months to get things together and it eliminates a lot of the technical glitches that would certainly have gotten in the way.
I still intend to collaborate with the choreohrapher and dancers while I'm here, but not as part of an academic project.  I think this will be better for everyone involved.

New Thesis - I'm writing a piano concerto.  I'm basing it on, surprise surprise, a text by Wallace Stevens, Peter Quince at the Clavier.  The text will be spoken by the pianist while or between playing the piano.  In addition to my enjoyment of spoken text, I like this because it necessarily changes the manner in which the pianist interacts with the audience and other players.
That's all I'll say for now.  I need to find a pianist - I need to get to know some more pianists at Western... or some of them at all...

No comments: