Sunday, May 03, 2009

Back to Piano

I've wasted the last few days away completely.
Other than starting back at my job, I've not done anything productive.  I need to start thinking about what I want to do with my summer.

I printed out, and have started learning Scriabin's Vers la flamme, a piano piece.  It will be both musically and technically challenging, but not overly so.  It's been a while since I've actually LEARNED something properly.  I want this to be the starting point of my summer piano adventure - learning post-romantic repertoire to a near-performance level, but not memorized.  The idea is that I want to play more when I'm in Vancouver, collaborative and solo-ish stuff, so I need to get my chops back.  While I still enjoy baroque and classical stuff, I need to focus on modern/20th century music, techniques, and style.

In addition to piano, I will write lots of music this summer.  Some projects are:
-Soprano/Mezzo duet for two wonderful London singers
-Bassoon/Tenor duet: I need to verify with the bassoonist and singer, but I got a really exciting idea which I would love to pursue - the bassoonist had mentioned that she would love a piece written for her, and I think this piece would be great for her.
-Piano Solo anything.  This is a medium for which I have not written enough, barely any actually... There are some techniques I've touched on in my concerto and some songs, and I'd love the chance to develop those a little further in the solo medium.
-The Song Cycle that I put aside a while ago... I want to do it, but I have a feeling this is officially a long, long-term project.

No comments: