Monday, May 25, 2009

The life of an infusion set

Funding for insulin pump supplies is based on the perfect world assumption that an infusion set will last for 3 days, which is also the longest that one is recommended to wear a single infusion set.
I wish mine were lasting for that length.  So far, I have gotten an average of 2 days out of the first two sets.  After the 48 hour mark on my first Silhouette set, I had elevated sugars which would not come down.  I switched the set and it was better.  I remember moving in my sleep last night - I shifted to sleep on my right side, but that cause some discomfort on my right arm, where Silhouette #2 was placed.  When I woke up, there was no discomfort, but also no absorption - it had dislodged sometime during the night and my sugars were yucky in the morning.  That was just a few hours ago and I still feel like shit getting rid of ketones and waiting for my sugars to come down to a comfy level.  I'm about to take a shower and then I'll put in a new Quick Set in the front of my arm.  It's one of my few more muscular areas, but there's still some extra fat there...
Let's see how it goes!

No comments: