Sunday, January 02, 2011

Happy New Year!

I've never been big on new year's resolutions, but the coming months have thrown one at me:
In 5 months, I have about 7 major deadlines - if I'm going to have a hope of finishing things on time, I have to write more and faster!
Contrary to the old Adage, I'm focusing on quantity, not quality! This isn't to say that I'm not concerned about the quality of my work - I'm sure I can still do good work without dwelling on it for months longer than I should. I'm far too early in my career as a composer to be working so slowly. I need to embrace modesty and remind myself that I haven't reached greatness yet - yet all great artists create their share of shit before they reach their stride. If I expect to one day write great stuff, I need to allow myself to write bad stuff first, and hey, maybe good stuff will come out anyway!

No comments: