Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I talked to my nurse today after having emailed her my blood sugars from the first two days. She says that I'm doing quite well! We've adjusted the amount of background insulin that I'm getting overnight because my sugars keep dropping overnight. Other than that, we agreed that it's best to not make other changes for a little while because it's only been a few days. We will talk again on Friday and see if we need to make any changes then.

I've started using a really cool feature of the pump - a square wave bolus. Basically, it delivers the insulin evenly over a time span. These are perfect for high carb foods with a low GI value. On injections, these kinds of meals were nearly impossible - they would need a lot of insulin so if I took it too early, my sugars would drop before the food was absorbed, the liver would shoot out some glucose of it's own, and then the food would be absored, so my sugars would end up high a few hours later. If I dosed too late, the food would spike up my sugars, and then it would take forever for them to come down. I was able to eat fast food today and not feel like shit because of it! Well, fast food still makes you feel icky, but non-diabetes related ick!

No comments: