Tuesday, November 25, 2008

night #1

So, I woke up at 4 am this morning to check my sugars. It's a good thing I did because they were 2.5(they are supposed to be between 4-6, slightly higher overnight).
Overnight lows are the worst - you're tired and cold and all you want to do is go back to sleep, but you know that you can't until your sugars have stabled.
I tried to follow the procedure for treating a low which is:
1)Drink 20 carbs of juice, wait fifteen minutes
2)Test sugars, if still below 2.8, repeat
if still under 4, eat 15 carbs and wait fifteen minutes
if over 4, test again in an hour, eat a small snack to keep sugars afloat

I did step one and had a cookie while waiting (preparing for that small snack). When I tested, I was still 3.5, so I had more juice, and ate another cookie or two. Since my sugars were still low, I was savagely eating these cookies (it is nearly impossible to control ones self in this state). The third time I tested, I was slightly over 4, so I ate another cookie just to be safe, then went back to bed. I woke up with higher sugars because of the cookies, but at least I wasn't low again.

I was told to expect lows because there will still be some residual insulin in my system - let's hope that there is none left for tonight.

My sugars have been running higher than I would like all day, but not as high as I was expecting, and I'm sticking to the orders I was given. There's a chance that my insulin requirements might actually be lower than I expected, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

This morning I cleared the insulin pen and pen needles out of the front pocket of my bag and moved them to the emergency / infusion set change supply section(formerly an empty zippered section). This is just one of many changes I will need to/get to make as part of this transition period.
YAY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Glad to hear things are getting underway, keep at it and good luck!