Monday, August 31, 2009

A new live in Vancouver

So far I love it. This post will be about everything non-diabetic, so that post will come next!

The road trip was pretty good. We made good time and stretched ourselves a little too far on some of the legs of the trip, but we made it and in good spirits. We talked about the possibility that we might hate each other by the end of the trip and how it would suck to be stuck in the same apartment thereafter, but that's not the case, so yay!

Vancouver is beautiful and the weather is great. The good sense we had about the area and the apartment itself have been reaffirmed since we've been here. Nothing we could need is out of walking distance.

We have to wait a little while longer until we get internet into our apartment, but there are TONNES of coffee houses to connect to wireless. Also, having my blackberry helps to survive life away from constant connectedness.

If I've ever complained about being less-than-affluent before... I was wrong. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ontario Drugs - they're my lifeline... The university plan has a 2-month blackout period so that the people who opt-out don't double dip - that means that I don't get any upfront help until November. I'll start the application process soon, but becoming a BC healthy person will take up to 3 months. That means I reeeeeeally need Ontario to get their stuff together soon. Anyway, enough health.

I'm taking my lack of funds as an opportunity. I will be forced to be better with money. I will also have a great excuse to not eat out, or eat as much. If I mix those things with regular exercise (which Vancouver promotes), then I could use this as a chance to lose some weight.

My room is slowly getting furnished. I have a desk (bought off of craigslist) and a chair (rolled down the street from someone's curb). I'll be using an air mattress or the couch for sleeping for a little while. Prescriptions are my priority, as well as some other expenses. I will get a good bed when I can see that I'm more financially secure. It's not going to be like this the whole time, in fact, just for a month or so. I actually had to swallow my pride and ask my sister for money. I will have regular money coming in for the next 4 years, but it hasn't started yet...

Ok, my next post will be much more health-related!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woohoo for curb chair! You could search out the downtown eastside and battle some crazy drug addicts for their furniture if you're desperate. Some of them have very elaborate cardboard beds that actually look comfy, hahaha.

Michael Park said...

Actually, that's not too far from where I got my desk - in Strathcona!
It's an area that's just starting to get gentrified - but I was expecting it to be a LOT more ghetto than it actually was!