Friday, September 18, 2009

Greetings,
Apparently this week is Invisible Illness Week.
I think it's fairly late, but I'm going to do this meme that is going around the diabetes online community.

1. The illness I live with is: type 1 diabetes
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 1991
3. But I had symptoms since: in retrospect, I often used to feel 'funny' late at night as I fell asleep on the couch.... later I realized that this feeling was hypoglycemia
4. The biggest adjustment I've had to make is: being aware of every element that effects my sugars/metabolism.
5. Most people assume: that they know enough (or even anything) about diabetes
6. The hardest part about mornings are: eating something and taking insulin to get my metabolism going - I'm not a morning person and I hate eating in the morning, but if I don't my sugars go haywire!
7. My favorite medical TV show is: House MD!
8. A gadget I couldn't live without is: my glucose meter.
9. The hardest part about nights are: not eating close to bed

10. Each day I take 2 pills & vitamins: not so much. Each day I take an average of 65 units of insulin and I test my sugar an average of 10 times.
11. Regarding alternative treatments: When I was a lot younger. I was initially part of the inhaled insulin trials, but was weeded out of the study early on. Inhaled Insulin was hailed as a cure and it was very exciting. More than a decade later, the trials and studies were finished and the released the product on the market. It flopped - massive failure.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Provided everything is going well, I love that diabetes is invisible. In reality, things don't always go well and sometimes we just want a wee bit of pity... just a bit. I wish I could exercise without all the complications - I've been trying for a while. Today, I was running late to meet some friends, so I was walking fairly fast. I broke a sweat, but as I got close to my destination, I started sweating profusely. There is a point when your body decides it's kicking it into high gear and it starts dropping your sugar fast. When my sugars drop quickly, I sweat. I guess what I'm getting at is that I wish it was either completely invisible or completely visible, but alas it is neither.

13. Regarding working and career: Everyone has personal issues that they bring into the workplace - I think it is everyone's responsibility to prepare themselves as needed. Of course, things will come up, but I get offended when other diabetics throw around the disability card so freely.
14. People would be surprised to know: just how integrated into my life diabetes is. People focus very much on the incidental aspects of the condition - carb counting, injecting, testing, etc.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: ya, I don't remember the old reality at all, even if I do remember snippets, they were through the eyes of a 6-year old and they have no relevance to my current life.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: have sex. In my early teens, I was horrified that my poor diabetes control would leave me impotent. Poor understanding of sexual function and short vs long-term complications led to even more confusion in a confusing time of life.
17. The commercials about my illness: are always about type 2 diabetes. Also, they're about diabetes in the United States - not really applicable to me.
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: having my halloween candy checked only for the dangers of razor-blade apples.
19. It was really hard to have to give up: the idea that I knew more about my own diabetes than anyone else.
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: I don't know what hobbies I had at that age, and I'm sure any new ones have no diabetes relation.
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: run and flail through the streets and eat when I felt hungry and not test my sugars.
22. My illness has taught me: everything I know about living and independence.
23. One thing people say that gets under my skin is: Any unfounded information about diabetes. Telling me what my numbers should be, or what I can or can't eat.
24. But I love it when people: sincerely ask about diabetes and listen to my answers
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "You're good enough, you're smart enough, and dog-gonnit, people like you!"
26. When someone is diagnosed I'd like to tell them: It depends on how old they are. I would tell an adult to get educated and always learn, but be prepared to make mistakes and forgive yourself freely. I don't think there is a single thing you can say to a kid, or anyone for that matter. Just teach them to fix their mistakes and learn from them, but never overprotect them and prevent them from actually making those mistakes.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: that it is totally common. Pretty much everyone has gone through something, or has something they need to be concerned with. Some people have allergies, some people have diabetes, some people get hit by a car and spend months in a cast or hospital.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn't feeling well was: provided me with exactly what I needed without pointing it out and making me feel like I needed them in that situation.
29. I'm involved with Invisible Illness Week because: just because diabetes is commonly invisible doesn't mean it should stay that way!
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: like my answers are very similar to Kerri's - I guess were not alone!

Get involved with Invisible Illnes Week and let people know that just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. And have a great weekend!

No comments: