Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Settling in

Today was my 20th or 21st First day of school. I think it went pretty well.
Because of the entry exams, I knew some people already so it was a nice, friendly atmosphere.

I found out that I might be able to get out of my bibliography requirement course by submitting a term paper from a previous degree. I sent it as soon as I found that out, so I hope to hear shortly that I qualify so that I can re-register in the theory requirement course that I wanted to take.

There was a welcome bbq at lunchtime. It was rainy and they took a long time to get the bbqs lit, but I got my burger after my audition:

I had an audition for the contemporary ensemble - it went very well. I'm sad that now, I'm pretty much finished with the Scriabin piece I learned over the summer. Happily though, the piece served its purpose as the ensemble's director was impressed both with my choice of piece as well as my playing. I'm excited for Monday when we find out what music we'll be playing!

I also had my first lesson with my advisor today. It was basically our chance to get to know each other. I showed her some scores and played some examples. We also talked about the program/portfolio requirements and some of the projects I have planned for the near future.
She asked me to describe my music and approach to composing - despite it being the main thing I do, I really wasn't able to tell her much....
[and tangent...]
I know there was a point in my life when I was quite a good communicator - heck, I was on the debate team and loved public speaking. These days, I fumble words almost constantly and it feels like my vocabulary is shrinking. I'm not sure what is going on, because it's not everything, just some areas:
This summer, I worked in a call centre and was an excellent communicator at work. I knew the answers to questions and was able to spout out varied descriptions of operas and concerts with no problem. It seems like whenever I'm trying to express my own ideas, I fail miserably.
[end tangent]

Ok, that's it for now.

No comments: