Thursday, January 07, 2010

A New Friend

Never satisfied to knit just the standards, scarves and mittens, I've taken on more interesting projects. Over the last few years, and especially since moving to Vancouver, I've been knitting stuffed toys. We have lots of room above the cupboards in our kitchen, so a jungle is growing there.
Lady Chach is the newest addition to the jungle.

One of my friends is expecting a second child. When they asked his daughter for name suggestions, she said 'Lady Chach". As they will not likely use that name for their child, I have taken it as the perfect name for this dandy little boy elephant!

The tale of Lady Chach, is longer than the tail of Lady Chach, which you can't actually see in the picture, but you get the point...

Lady Chach seemed destined for failure, almost from the outset. The pattern was poorly written and had mistakes throughout. I didn't have grey yarn, so I figured that pink would do. As the knitting went on, I ran out of the original pink, so I had to switch to a different shade of pink, then a fuzzy pinkish yarn, and blue for the foot pads. When it came time for the ears, a darker rose colour and purple were necessary. Before Lady Chach was suggested, he was destined to be called Patches.

Because of the constant problems with his creation, I cursed poor Lady Chach the whole time. Through his light coloured pink skin, you can see some of the darker coloured shopping bags with which he is stuffed.
Lady Chach is far from perfection, but I love him anyway!
He's just so damned adorable with his extremely dilated pupils and effeminate lashes!

For now, he's taken up residence on top of the stove fan/light, but things are always changing in the jungle. My roommate and I have plans in the not-so-short-term future to make a delightful stop motion film with the animals. Who knows what other creatures will be around by the time that happens.

For now, here is a listing of the current jungle inhabitants:

Lady Chach, the elephant
Penquin, the penguin
Pigette, the pig
a blue and yellow poison-dart tree frog
an owl
and Leo, the lion

Eventually, I'll get more pictures, but for now they need to get their sleep. And I just might follow their lead.



1 comment:

The Illustrious D said...

"He's just so damned adorable with his extremely dilated pupils and effeminate lashes!"

And don't forget trunk shaped like a dildo. Crucial.

Can't wait to see the rest of the ménagerie!