Friday, May 14, 2010

Obnoxious Drunk

Walking home from the bar with my roommate and another female friend, some drunk guy on the street stopped smoking long enough to shout something about, "gay, mumbly, fag..."

Wisely, we kept walking and ignored him, aside from a comment about how obnoxious he was.

While I passed it off in the moment, it pissed me off. Some thoughts on the matter:

1) What a douche!

2) What can you possibly say to that?

3) Though I was happy to avoid confrontation, I couldn't help but imagine what might happen if I had responded... If thing had gotten violent, would it be considered a gay-bashing? Does the actual orientation of the bashee matter, or is it the motivating perception? Bi-bashing doesn't sound quite as intimidating - Aw, alliteration, you make everything nicer!

4) How did he get so good at orientation identification? I've been trying for about six years now, and my sexuality still lacks a certain clarity!

5) I can't tell what I dislike more : the fact that he assumed he could tell my orientation simply by situation/looks, or the fact that his utterance serves as a beacon for society's obsession with gender/sexual binary.

5a) Would I be as angry if he had called me 'bisexual'?

6) What about me screamed gay tonight? I'll take it as a compliment because the Vancouver gays I've been seeing are a good-looking group of guys, but khakis and an untucked plaid shirt don't exactly warrant my place amongst the pretty 'bois' of Vancouver!


Aside from that little incident, today was one of the most phenomenal days of ever!
I participated in a piano study on sightreading and improvising. I had a massage. I went for a walk with a friend by the ocean, on the beach, and decided I'm going to take up ocean kayaking. I had sushi for dinner and then went for cheap martinis with friends.
I love the summer!

1 comment:

The Illustrious D said...

1. For totes.

2. Nothing. It's not really about you, so nothing would make it "better."

3. Response fantasies are awesome, but really just a form of licking your ego's wounds. I imagine he would have called Larry the Cable Guy 'fag' in that state.

4. Sucking wang.

5. Part of that binary is associating "nice guys" with faggotry. You have a very non-threatening, nice look to you, Mikey, ergo...

6. Your screaming is pretty gay.

Also, participating in a piano study, getting a massage, sushi and martinis are the straights things EVAR.