Monday, May 24, 2010

A week later...

Oopsie, I made it an entire week without posting!
Blogging goes in ebbs and flows - but even though it's been lower on my list of priorities lately, I have no intentions of stopping.

I'm loving the summer: Kung Fu, Frisbee, walking, soccer, and going for sushi have been some of the things keeping me distracted from composing lately...

My diabetes control was getting a bit out of hand for a while - when I took a step back, I realized it was because I've been taking insulin closer and closer to the first bites of meals. Now that I'm consciously aiming for 10-20 minutes before I start eating, the numbers are behaving much more nicely. It's a mixture of letting the insulin work and also double checking carb counting during that time! It's impressive/bad - how fast bad habits become routine.

Speaking of breaking the routine, I finally did something that I've avoided for a long time... I learned how to crochet. Earlier this year, my roommate tried learning to knit, but gave up in favour of crochet - which she picked up quickly and really enjoys. I am a die-hard knitter, so I mocked her and flauted the inferiority of her chosen handicraft. Nevertheless, I gave it a try.
I was a terrible student, impatiently ignoring most of her instructions, but eventually I listened to enough to get through making a granny square. After mild-to-moderate frustrations with the technique of crochet, I caught on and (within the first project) mastered the basics of double crochet.
I'm still not convinced that it's a worthwhile venture, but I'll stick with it for a while longer.

No comments: