Saturday, July 03, 2010

Hiking and Vlogging

So, I went hiking today and it was super fun. In order to show you, I vlogged!

It was a long hike - 18k (9 up, 9 down). It was basically a steady rise the entire way up which was nice; nothing too intense, but it kept us on our toes.

This was the first really scenic thing we came across, after about 5 kilometers. It's called Barrier Lake, you'll see more of The Barrier later on.

So, there were three lakes that we saw today: Barrier Lake, Lesser Garibaldi Lake, and Garibaldi Lake (the non-lesser). In addition to the lakes, there were creeks and streams galore, for example...




Aside from a black bear we saw on the drive home, the only wildlife we saw were chipmunks (so tiny and cute) and these birds called Gray Jays. Both were extremely good scavengers. Earlier on the hike, we fed the jays out of our hands - the flew onto us and ate, until we got in trouble from the Ranger. She was actually very nice about it, so we stopped immediately.
When we got to the top and were eating lunch around Lake Garibaldi, these creatures were a nuisance.




As we left to come back down after lunch, we hiked back through the snow. It was actually quite treacherous, but that didn't stop me from doing an action vlog. My roommate suggested it, knowing there'd likely be a scream involved.



A few minutes later, we decided to go over these logs instead of taking the bridge again:


I stopped the vlog early cause I didn't want to drop my phone, but this was a LOT of fun!
I tried to get my roommate to recreate the Log Driver's Waltz, but she didn't know the video, and I didn't know nearly enough of the words. Oh, Tote-bag...

I talked about lakes and rapids and creeks earlier, but what water phenomena could be more exciting than....



Barrier Lake was one of the first scenic things on the hike, but the Barrier was quite a bit higher. Basically, it's a huge rock formation - very steep. The view was spectacular and I felt like I was on top of the world! Because a lot of the boulders we were sitting on were at awesome angles, we had a lot of fun taking pictures that looked like we were falling off the mountain. When my friend posts her pics, I'll share it on here, but for now, here's my final vlog entry!


No comments: