Friday, July 30, 2010

Dear Telus

Well, it's been quite a while since I've ranted, so here we go! Below is a letter I sent to Telus outlining my dissatisfaction.



Dear Telus,

I would like to voice my extreme dissatisfaction with the customer service I have been receiving from Telus. There is a huge disconnect between the in-store representatives and the telephone representatives. I understand that in BC, the stores are independently run, an inherent flaw in the manner in which you do business. I regularly get conflicting information from these two sources, and neither seem willing to cooperate with one another.

Here is my background.
One year ago, I bought the Blackberry Storm from a location in Ontario. I was told that it was comparable to the iphone, which soon became clear that it was not. In addition to massive weaknesses in Blackberry software, the touch screen has been unreliable and problematic. With my increasing dissatisfaction, I have made it clear that I wanted to change my handset to an iPhone.

I was told there were two options:

1) Buy out of my contract and upgrade at the 3 year pricing. At 20$/month, I could not afford this option.

2) Send my phone in for servicing 3 times and Telus would make me an offer for upgrading my handset.
This is the option I chose.

Since everything was under warranty, this should have not been a problem, and should - in theory- have been free.

Since I had moved to BC, I couldn't return my phone to the original location. I used the swap program, but had to pay a 50$ charge from the Telus retailer for some type of shelving fee. I was happy with the swap program, the phone was slightly more responsive, but not much better. I was encouraged to install the 5.0 software, which I did and gave the phone an honest chance. It was slightly better, but not enough to rectify my dissatisfaction

When I next went to swap my phone, I was informed that the swap program was cancelled - the reasons have been explained to me multiple times in full; I understand, but am sincerely disappointed in this decision.
As a result, sending my phone in for repairs cost me 60$ each time for a loaner phone, in addition to a credit card deposit. The first of the two times, I was even charged 35$ to cover the location's mailing costs!

To date, I have paid (50+60+60+35) $205 JUST to have my warranty honoured. This is unacceptable; Telus needs to rethink how their locations deal with their customers.

Recently, I was informed that my phone had come back from 'being serviced', without any paper or electronic trail of having been serviced. As the retailer knew that I needed it to be registered as serviced, they informed me that the were sending the phone back with a note indicating that there needed to be registered. Wondering what possibly could have happened to my phone in 3 weeks with no trace, I called Telus to inquire and express my concerns.

I was not willing to be pacified on this phone call, and as a result, I was made an offer which made me happy, until today when I realized that Telus does not honour their promises.
I was offered a discounted buy-out which would allow me to buy my choice of phone at the 3-year contract rate. While the representative couldn't tell me the pricing for the iPhone 4, I was told that I could get it when it was released on Friday, July 30th - today.

This seems like a clear agreement. An offer. A promise.

I looked into my phone options and decided on the iPhone 4. I registered my intention to buy it with a Telus location and they called me this morning with a phone set aside for me.
I left my apartment this morning happy, feeling like today was the day that Telus would make everything right - I would feel like a valued customer.

Before I continue with the twist, I currently feel like a second-rate customer, Telus Client Care made it clear that they have done wonderful things for me in the past and that I am being ungrateful for asking them to honour the promise I was made.

Long story short, when I went in to buy my phone, I was informed that my offer did not apply to the iPhone 4. There was nothing the location could do unless I wanted to pay full price. I spoke with 3 telephone representatives in each of the Client Care and Loyalty departments, each of which explained that there was nothing they could do - I simply had to wait. When I asked how long, I was told a variety of things: 1) just not on the release date (today), 2) on the second shipment (they couldn't specify a date or confirm that I could get it on Tuesday, when the location receives its second shipment), or 3) 4-6 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not simply impatient. I've waited about 9 months for a new phone, I can wait a little while longer. It's the principle - I was made a promise and not only is Telus ignoring that promise, but they belittled me in the process.

It was explained that, due to small shipments, they needed to prioritize. They told me how wonderful I should feel that they are allowing me to upgrade my handset before my contract is over, but that people in my situation (early hardware upgrade) could only get the iPhone 4 if they have less than 6 months left on their contract, whereas I have 24. I understand fairness, but people who are at the end of their contract were likely satisfied with their handset. In my case, I may have been happy with it for a month, but my dissatisfaction has been growing for about 11 months, that's over a 90% dissatisfaction rate!

I mentioned that I understand the general principle, but I am extremely dissatisfied and asked them to make an exception. At this point, the representative got on his high horse and pointed out that my discounted buy out was an exception, so I should not be entitled to another exception!
I do not think that I am being unreasonable in my expectations and I don't think that I should be disadvantaged because Telus cannot supply the demand for their product.

The Telus location I am dealing with was happy to reserve an iPhone for me, not because I put down a deposit and am just a dollar sign in their eyes; rather, they realize the importance of customer satisfaction and making up for the previous disappointments I have incurred, This independent retailer is currently the only thing that I remotely respect about Telus currently.

This retailer made the offer to hold the phone for me for as long as I wanted, making me a priority - something Telus as a company seems to have no interest in. While the lure of spite is strong (I would be responsible for that store only selling 80% of their initial shipment), I am putting my hand forward as a friendly gesture. I have asked them to sell that phone and hold one for me from the second shipment, which comes in on Tuesday, Aug 3rd. I am happily making that phone available to one of Telus's much more valuable customers.

What I am asking in return is simple:
I want them to make it easy for me to walk into the retailer on Tuesday and buy the iPhone which will be reserved for me. A simple override of their system's self-imposed limits should make this possible.

I thank you for taking the time to read my lengthy email. There is little-to-no new information here, I have said it all before to telephone representatives and heard any number of explanations. I am beyond the point of being placated by a scripted explanation of why you cannot do what I need to be satisfied - I am waiting for action.

Sincerely,
Michael Park

No comments: