Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Good times

Well, I had my lesson today, and it was good times.
We talked about rep and changed some pieces around for recital...
Anything Bach related has changed.... we've decided to do the PDQ Bach piece based on Mozart's Turkish rondo... from the Sonata Im playing in the same recital.... because there is this relation... David freed me from the obligation to play the corresponding J.S.Bach Prelude and Fugue. The A minor P&F by J.S. is huge, like 9 pages, and would take up too much recital time. Instead, David suggested a lively rollicking P&F from WTC book1 in G Major. I like it, and Im going to do it!
I was a little worrysome about the lesson, cause -What if I felt good about the progress, but he said it still wasn't enough?!?- There was one page where different sections are at different stages of playability. When I played it, rather than play at the slowest tempo and have everything perfect, I changed tempos to suit their preparedness which threw me off and nothing was as good as it could be, cause I didnt actually switch tempos... i just planned on it. This apparently was not good enough, he questioned me on the quality, and I replied with some mumbling about how the different parts weren't in agreement in some kind of flustered jargon, that Michael does best! He started to talk about how if I use those methods , things will come together... and I made the tension particuarly visible by blurting out "I did, I made them do that and there's only so much I can do. The sections all go perfectly on their own, they just aren't as fast as they should be yet!" He could tell that I was a little on edge, so we went to another section with the understanding that that page would be better next week.
There was another time when I looked like an ass because I mentioned how a certain section didn't sound right to me when I play it as fast as the score says I should... and then near the end of that section, theres a Huge Ritardando... and I wasn't doing it cause it felt so awkward. After a few tries with him saying "just do what's on the page", he stopped me and had me start the section over at the fast tempo, and told me to do the Rit. Long before I got to the rit, I knew that I had just been stupid. It made sense.
He didnt appreciate what I did with the opening section, which was feuled by pure unbridled spite. Last week he complained that my opening section was too random and had no pulse... so he made me practice it with a metronome and said it better be perfect next week... so I did that, I played it exactly in metronomic time with the dynamics... but there was no tempo flux marked at all... so it was boring and unexpressive. He commented on the end result and I was quick to say "But you said to play it absolutely perfect in tempo"
I knew all along what he meant and what he wanted, however i didnt care.
anyway, ive been trying to type this for hours, and I give up NOW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it completely annoying when your teacher tells you to do what's on the page and then it works? It sure as hell frustrates me. Also, then I feel like a complete 'tard - cause really, shouldn't I be able to figure this out on my own?

Oh well, it sounds as if the overall lesson was good. Changing rep for your recital again, though? That's cutting it close. Your recital program totally does kick ass, regardless. PDQ Bach will definitely have them rolling in the aisles.