Tuesday, October 25, 2005

just a little update

I've noticed a change in my practice ethic lately. Definately for the better. Im hoping it is a lasting difference, not just reacting to the recent events that could have easily scared me into practicing good for a while.
I guess the difference is that normally when I practice hardcore and in the style that David expects, I feel good about it after the lesson at which David tells me that he's happy about it, but I'm actually enjoying this method and seing it's fruits already. I've applied to not just to the Rubinstein, but on my own to the Brahms and the results:
The one in a-minor; not a particularly difficult piece, but I had quite nearly given up on the middle section because it wasn't working easily for me. I sat down and just decided that I was going to make it work, and now it does granted slowly.. but it works nonetheless.
g-minor; I hadn't worked on it in a while and yesterday I managed to speed it up by 27 metronome markings. Yet another significant step towards performance tempo.
I've also been applying these methods to the Rubinstein and they're working. The effects are not quite as visible because its a huge piece of music, but that one section I was avoiding like the plague now works, and pretty much up to tempo (the one we worked on in my lesson). There's lots to tidy up still, but Im excited to have it ready for the concerto competition in December.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this just proves the theory:
If you want it bad enough, you'll get it.

Michael Park said...

I know you want it.... come and get it!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.... seems as if there's a little hanky panky going on behind my back. Oh, wait. That's just Brendan back there.