Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Oi vay!

Today was a bit of a trying day. I've gone batty.
I woke up and was convinced that I had slept in and had not enough time to get to my 8:30 class. I debated staying at home because I felt extremely nauseous. I convinced my mother to give me a ride to school so I could attend class on time, so I got ready and all was not terrible. Throughout the ride to school, I was experimenting and trying to find out whether the nausea and heartburn were lessened or aggravated by drinking water, I still don't know.
ANyway, I got to the school and saw Deena in the hall on my way to class, but she had a confused look as I asked her if she was heading to class, to which she informed me that Advanced Analysis was at 9:30 as it had been all along. Confused, distraught and frightened, i leaned against the wall and fell to the ground and lay there for a moment or a few. Deena went in for her coaching and I gathered the broken shell of a man up and laid down on a couch for the next 50 minutes. The actuall class was ok, I hadn't done the reading or the pre-class work, but I was fine.
Before my next class, I went with Andrea and Karen to Timmy Ho's, but on the way through the forest, there was an extremely lound noise sounding like a gunshot or balloon popping... I shrieked and then clung on to a tree that was just to my left. Why am I such a pathetic sack of dithering shit today? On the way back, I stopped at the Fine Arts library to search for a plate of a painting... Why is is so difficult to find things places... The lady was very helpful though, but after looking through 8 books that had info on Viennese artists or the one I was looking for specifically, i still didnt have the painting.
Later that day I found it, in a book written entirely in German at the big library at the centre of campus.
Perhaps this is the reason I was having issues finding the painting called "The Return"... cause it's German!
Anyway, I finally found the painting and am reasonably sure that it is the one called "Die Heimkehr" literally translated as 'home going back'.
The reson I needed to find this painting is one of inspiration. I am playing a piece by Rachmaninoff that was inspired by this painting. I need to now find themeaning that Rachy saw in the painting and translate that into my playing.
I would appreciate if anyone could give some commentary or insight. The piece is Rachmaninoff's Prelude in B minor Op. 32, No. 10. Listen to it, its powerful and beautiful and poignant(not to be confused with Swan Lake). Also take a look at the painting itself and think about the meaning..
The music is dark and thoughtful, and I've already read speculations that the painting is of the man coming home to die... which fits the music, but at first look, Im not convinced that its the paintings intentions. Rachmaninoff was in his 40's and nowhere near death at the time, so I have to look into that and find a way to reconcile the painting with the music.
In the end, I am quite taken with both the piece and the painting, and I am really excited about this project! Any suggestions/insights would be greatly appreciated... that is if anyone still reads this bloody blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's okay if you are afraid of things, and hug trees in fright. Many people do that.(none that i can think of right now...)

And i always read your blog silly.

Jonathan Evans said...

Hmmmm, never seen this painting before, but it does look like he's waiting for something. Hard to tell if it's death or not, maybe he's just afraid what his wife is cooking for dinner will kill him.