Monday, October 27, 2008

Feeling extremely _____ today.

I went to the pharmacy/post office today for two things - convenient that they are both in the same store!

I had ordered shoes on ebay, and I've been feeling apprehensive about whether they would fit, or smell, or be in bad shape, different from the pictures I saw.

I had to fill some prescriptions for insulin and test strips.
In Ontario, strips are not covered by pharmacare - mostly because pharmacare doesn't exist here - the whole concept of universal healthcare... DOESN'T EXIST IN ONTARIO! Pharmaceuticals here seem to be completely privatized. No huge worries, the university has decent coverage, as long as I feed them the mountains of paperwork they seem to require to survive.

Long story short - the pharmacy claimed that the insurance company refused to cover more than one meter at one time. I have used at least 2 meters at a time for the past decade and then some. I know that I use about 200 strips a month, and I divide that number in categories for each meter so that I still use the same amount, just different types. Apparently this is not possible with the system.
Also the pharmacy filled way too many compared to what I wanted, and they didn't even have enough to give me what they had filled, so I would have to come back again to get the rest another day.
I got angry and I didn't have time to call the insurance company before class.
I was bitchy.

I tried on the shoes and they fit like a glove - meaning that I can't wear thick socks, but with nice dress socks, they fit great and they are super comfortable and they look beautiful!
I love them.
For one brief and shining moment, I was truly happy.

Then I was angry again. I was short on time, and I ran off to catch the bus to school. I dislike the bus, so I was bitchy again. I was running late, and it turned out to be the stupid bus that goes the long way around, so I was going to be late. I got to the university and decided I was too pissy to sit in a class for 2 hours, so I went to my office, grumbled there for 2 minutes before heading back home.
It was pouring rain at this point, so I was pissy. And wet.

I got home, started to work on composition, then got distracted by my pissiness and called the insurance guy. Long story short, if I fill one month at a time, separately, I can get my two types of strips. He gave me instructions to take to the pharmacy:
1)Fix the mistake you made - Don't fill more than you have, you stupid assholes!
2) Re-bill what you've already given him so that things are right, and make sure that you aren't claiming that this is 3 months worth when it is clearly only 1 month, you stupid dungheaps!
3)Bill the other strips separately as 1 months worth and all should be happy.

Surprise surprise, the dinkus at the pharmacy was not able/willing to follow these simple instructions without getting it verified by the insurance person I was talking to.
GRRR!
There is nothing that she needs to get authorized! If she follows the instructions it will simply either work, or it won't work, and then I can submit the claim manually.
I ended up leaving it all there because she couldn't get ahold of the person, so she left a message and couldn't do anything until she heard back.

In the end, I've spent probably close to 2 hours dealing with this shit.
I am not happy with it.
This is just another shining example of how terrible the health system is here.

I really do miss Manitoba at times like these.

The things I'm willing to put up with (and bitch about) in order to get an insulin pump.
At the same time, if I knew what becoming an Ontarian would be like, I never would have done it. I don't think the Insulin Pump is worth this hassle.

No comments: