Saturday, October 04, 2008

I remember this time of year in my final year of undergrad... I promised myself that I would never go through the process of grad school applications again...

I lied.

I should have listened to the previous me. This year is going to kill me with paperwork. There will be three rounds of applications:
1) SSHRC and OGS - I did these last year out of requirements from UWO, this year I'm doing them just in case I decide to go to grad school.
2) Next month, I'm applying to the DAAD scholarship program. It would be money to live and study in Germany for a year. I would love to do this. No matter what else comes up, I currently feel that this is my first priority.
3)DMA applications. I will pick a few schools and apply for doctoral programs.

Basically, by the time I've finished these applications, it will be December, and I should have finished the bulk of the work on my thesis! In other words, the next few months of my life are going to be intense.
Maybe I would feel a lot better about these applications if I had a clear idea of the future. I'm not terribly inspired to do anything after this. I'm not at the point where I need to be done school, but I'm not exactly yearning to enter a doctoral program. Because I'm fairly flippant about it, I'm going to leave things up to chance - I'll apply to a bunch of things and see what opportunites come up.

Who knows, if none of these work out, I'll be applying for jobs...

No comments: