Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Independance is a sure thing...

Well I went to the university today on my SECOND trip related to official business. Today I had a meeting with a professor to see if he would be my faculty advisor for an independant study course I have planned. I think I have mentioned it, but generally I have found a way to get credit for composing and performing a piece of music for an entry into a ballet choreography competition. After finding out that the ideal professor is not an option for an advisor because he is not full-time faculty, I was turned down by 2 or 3 other professors that I asked. I was getting worried, but a few people suggested this newer prof that I talked to today.
The meeting was concise and fruitful. We gave each other our relative backgrounds and discussed what projects we had going during the year, he is quite the busy composer working on some fun projects. I told him my expectations for the independant study course and then he told me his expectations for what I should be doing as well. It was good to actually talk to someone who feels confidant that he can offer me something as an expert in terms of this project: something which none of the other profs had stated.
He has done some composition for dancers, although he admits that the situation I am in is ideal. I will be working with the choreographer in the development stage (The standard situation is that a choreographer works from music that has already been writted and often they are using the recording that will be used in the end for the performance). This allows for the utmost creative licence on both parts, and it means that the music will be specifically moulded to the dance.
He seemed to be in agreement with my proposed outline, and the only suggestion he wants to add is that he expects me to sit in on composition seminars when I have the time... This means that I get free education and suggestions and ideas about how to compose.... Im quite alright with that!
He is genuinely excited about this project, and of course I am as well. The course is going to be spaced out over both school terms and there are no set times for meetings, they will be 'as needed'(whatever we decide that means). Most of the work is going to rest upon me, which is what I was planning. All in all, Im very excited about this project!
In other news...
I ran into Mel (head of the voice dept) today on my way into the school. Expecting that I might have to put up more of a fight, I was surprised when, after reassuring him that i hadn't the time for Singers, he asked if I was able to join Cantata, or if it was too much committment. I told him it would be fine, and so it is done. Im quite satisfied that things turned out in my favour. Nevertheless, I think of myself as a strong propegator of bitterness and spite, so I expect that some of the people who were not happy about having to spend an extra year in a less-than-ideal time-committment might be less than happy for me. But in the end, I am glad that I got my way. It's frustrating the way politics get in the way of so many things in life, be they work, school, international relations....
All in all, I am very excited for this year, its going to be busy, but rewarding and exciting and super fun! YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems that there are little to no comments lately, although I much enjoyed the last couple of posts... As well as the random kindness of strangers in regards to heinous bastards who have no life (see retarded high-horse conservatives who think music is not a valid career choice) Cantata will be fun, and singers who have problems can just kiss your ass ... hmmm, maybe you should start a waiting list, there are a lot of them.