Saturday, September 03, 2005

Well, the auditions are done, and not all that remains of my summer is this weekend, and three days next week which are filled with meetings and getting organized.
My piano audition went well. The piece was by no means perfect, but I think it was above any realistic expectations for something learned over the summer without private lessons. There was literally no feedback from the panel other than a "Thank you Michael" which I am forced to assume would not be utterred if I had genuinely offended them with my playing...
I also think that the singing audition went well also, there were only two people on the panel and they both seemed to get and enjoy the humour from the PDQ Bach piece. It worked out perfectly, I told them I was singing an Air by Bach, implying JS Bach, but still not lying. Mel was tittering quietly through the entire piece, which made me happy. Contrasting the lack of feedback from the piano panel, this particular panel felt quite open about giving advice. Mel asked from whom I had been taking lessons, to which I replied "noone really, well randomly I've been getting lessons from such and such random people"... He then emphasized that I have a really lovely voice but Im doing something terribly wrong in the back of my throat, and he wants to avoid me singing like 'one of those tenors' then doing some sort of impersonation of a tenor that I assume nobody would want to sound like.... quite frankly I found it amusing, and would be happy if I could amuse people so.
The other oddity with the audition was the 'new regulation' regarding keeping people stuck in the Univserity Singers for 3 years of their degrees. This has many people up in a huff cause a lot of people in my year wanted to move on to Cantata. Lots of my singer friends are outraged, mostly because those are their only 2 options for large ensembles. Realistically, those are also the only two I would want to consider, but I have made my schedule and have decided that I no longer want to spend 4.5 hours a week in ensemble when I could spend only 1 or maybe 2. Therefore, I told them at the audition that it is entirely a time issue, so if I am not permitted to be in cantata, it will not result in my staying in Singers, rather I will find an instrumental ensemble which is less of a time committment.
I am really not sure how this will all pan out, but I'm fairly confident that I will get into Cantata, but realistically, If I have to I will probably sing in Univ Singers for another year and just bitch about it. Thats what I do best!
I am excited for the RWB School to start up again. This season I will be working almost the same amount of hours, except on only one day (Saturday) rather than Sat and Wednesday last year. This means that my weeknights are completely open for teaching and homework. Im waiting to hear back from some students about what night works for them, and then my work schedule will be completely set. It's frustrating that on my school schedule, there are still 4 courses to be slotted in because I have to work out a time with the professor or whatnot. When I only have 4 courses (3 for certain) marked in my timetable as it is, it is impossible to know what my school year is really going to look like.
Oh well. It's all good!

No comments: