Monday, September 19, 2005

Yarr mateys!

Yarr, I be wishin ye all a fine National Talk Like a Pirate Day today! Ye best be shivvering me timbers or ye'll be walking the plank...
and enough of that...
It's a fairly little-known festive day, but my friends and I at school enjoy the happy day.
Speaking of happy, there really is little else in the world that makes me as happy as the feel, the sound, then experience of crunching leaves underfoot. The leaves have finally started to fall, just a little, so theres some lone leaves here and there on the sidewalk bewteen the bus and my house. I must have looked like I was attempting some kind of odd little dance, as I was jumping around trying to step on every leaf I came across. -On the other hand, there was an excessive amount of... I'm not sure if it was insects or some kind of pollen or airborne particulate of some kind, but it was driving my little nose crazier than Ms Daisy-
Finally, after waiting a long time for the chamber music groups to be posted at school, I now know that I am in a Piano trio with a cellist named Luke something and a violinist named something else... I don't know either of them, nor anything about them, I believe that they are first year students. Judy, the lady who was organizing the ensembles took me aside and explained/appologized that the other people in my ensemble were not terribly advanced, but the priority of the more advanced string players was to play with the more experienced pianists, so I suppose next year I will play with the more senior players... The other point she wanted to make was that it provides me with the opportunity to be a leader.... in other words she has high expectations of me. She suggested that I look for a piano trio that is quite busy/challenging for the pianist, but a little less involved in the string parts.
I think I won't have any real problems leading the ensemble... it often seems like thats just another part of the pianists job, but I was really excited about playing with some really skilled musicians that would make me step up to work at their level. Nevertheless, I am excited to dive into another area of piano rep that I have never really been deeply exposed to. I went to the library today and took out some Beethoven Piano Trios, and also the complete collection of Haydn's piano trios.... The Beethoven ones didn't really have that balance of difficulties that was reccomended, so I ended up doing flash sightreading of almost all of them in just under 2 hours. I would play at tempo the exposition of the opening movements, and then peruse the other movements if i liked what I played. I narrowed it down to 5 of them that I like, or am willing to play; if anyone knows anything about them, or has recommendations, feel free to comment :
Trios number VII in E minor, IX in Bb Major, XIX in G minor, XX, XXIX in F major.
What I am realising about the classical era is that SO many of the techniques in piano writing are the same across the board. The work that I've done on sonatas, and my concerto last year has prepared me well, and I've come across most types of passages at some point earlier. All things considered, I was impressed at my own sightreading today, I was able to easily get the mood/sound of the pieces, and the notes were quite accurate. I dare say that if I was more fluent in scales and technique in general, I would have knocked my own socks off. Earregardless, I still have to talk to my teacher and the chamber coach about what rep they think would be suitable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean. The best spot on campus for pretty leaves is at the quad - all the trees are all in a row and all changing colour at the same time. it's awesome to look at.

and why was i never aware of this pirate day?