Sunday, September 18, 2005

It seems I haven't blogged in a little while.. oh well. It's never too late.
In the past, it's not that I always had lots of money, or even money at all times, but I had never been concerned about my money and where I was spedning... this perhaps has led to the situation I am in now. For the past week or two, I have had no money, that is to say pretty much zero dollars with no immediate income coming in. Also looming over me is the fact that I need to make, with the recent tuition hike that just appeared out of nowhere, 1,400$ ish by Jan... and with a job that pays about 300$ a month gross over just over 3 months... the math is not looking so promising. Oh well, I will find a way of making things work. I am planning on applying for some grant money for my ballet composition, as there is no room in the ballet's budget for paying musicians or anyone involved in the First Steps program. Nevertheless, there must be someone out there who thinks that collaborative projects in the performing arts deserve some money.
The biggest problem is not spending money... I've been sucked into such a world of consumerism and like most of my friends, almost all of my money goes to food. Not in terms of groceries, but in Winnipeg, the thing to do for socialization is restaurants. Especially when you are out with friends at 1 or 2 in the morning, the only thing open is a late0night restaurant, so you go there and consume. This is why working a part time job in high school never saved me any money, it just allowed me to go out and spend. In the end, I am realizing that it's physically easier than I'd ever thought to not spend... just bring a bag lunch, and snacks, decide to have friends over for tea, watching movies at home... BUT its more or a mental habitiual challange than anything else.
Im supposed to have some piano students this year; provided I can get ahold of the mother and set up a time, it should work out well. Then I'll have 2 students, rather than the whopping studio of one I have had lately.
With financial concerns that Im not used to dealing with, and that I know I am bad at dealing with, I've been fairly stressed lately, and I need to not be. Stress for me means avoiding practicing, which is a bad thing to do starting out the year.
I'll write again later.

3 comments:

Kimchihead said...

Greetings, from another Michael Park!

Anonymous said...

have faith little man! everything will work out okay. And keep practicing, it may seem tedious when your mind is elsewhere, but it is all worth it, and you'll know that when people are publishing your work. And then we can all say "we knew mikey when". yep. It's all good.
'don't worry, be happy!'

Anonymous said...

Just a quick amen to agree with restaurants in Winnipeg being the devil. Whenever people want to get together, it's to go out for food and I don't have $10 - $20 three and four times a week to spend on socializing.

Hence my becoming more and more hermit-like lately. I'm more than pleased to entertain people in my home (once I fix those friggin' chairs), or meet elsewhere but convincing people that going forth to spend on less-than-great comestibles is proving difficult.

/wratch