Tuesday, September 18, 2007

After the kerfuffle this morning, things got better. Ish, but there's still things to bitch about.
Towels - what's the purpose if they don't absorb anything?!? I used the most cheap-ass non-absorbent towel this morning/afternoon when I took my shower and it did nothing. After I started using it, it was trying to put the wetness back onto me; what a silly towel! I have about 5 towels just for my own use, BUT only one of them actually performs it's function properly. Make note people, if you plan on visiting me, I will be kind and pleasant, but I am not going to offer you my only good towel; you can either bring your own, or suffer the wrath of the pointless sopping wet towel! I swear that even the humidity in the bathroom was enough to soak the bloody towel.
Now that I've been sidetracked from my explanation of how today got better, I will continue.
I got a fair bit of stuff done today: I cleaned my room a bit; I moved into the apartment enough to be functional, but I haven't really made good decisions about where to store things on a more permanent level - now at least some things are in better places. I made myself a pretty kick-ass delicious dinner - penne with vegetables in alfredo sauce. I drank some nice red wine with it although I found out, when searching online for the sweetness of the wine, that I should have paired it with a tomato based pasta sauce... oopsie, I guess I'll know for next time.
I was thinking tonight that it is high maintenance to know which kind of wine goes with what food... you basically have to know what you're going to eat before you order your drink, unless you have a drink to start and then a wine with your meal, then you should probably have a liqueur or dessert wine after the meal, and you actually probably should have started with an apertif... geez with all the liquor involved, maybe it's the life for me.
The other day I walked across downtown 2.5 kilometers to the liquor store and that was perfectly fine, but the walk home with 4 bottles of liquor in my backpack was perhaps not the best idea. Nevertheless, I saw some new parts of the city and if it weren't for that, I might not have done any significant amount of walking over the weekend. Actually, that's a lie, but oh well.
Now, where was I? Oh yes, after dinner, I went to a café because I was not being terribly productive at home. I actually wrote some music finally. I'm working on a piece for 2 instruments and my prof gave me some guidance as to how to go about writing the piece, so I had been doing mostly thinking and planning for the last week and today I actually wrote something, yay! I have now finished the first 2 steps of the 4 or 5 step process; I wrote the climax of the piece. Now, all that remains is to write the beginning, the end, and I suppose I should fill in those blanks in the middle. I really hope that the good start of this project continues. This is my first composition of my Master's and I should hope it turns out well. Nevertheless, I believe that this is going to be our starting point; it will give my prof an idea of what I do well and what I need to do better. His reaction to the piece will also teach me a lot about what he is looking for. Not that I'm going to tailor my music to what he wants specifically, but it will give me an idea of where he is coming from.
Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to lock myself in the electroacoustic lab and learn myself another electro gadget! I still have about 20 some-odd pages of a owner's manual to read before I'm prepared for that.
Goodnight!

1 comment:

Julie Kertesz - me - moi - jk said...

great: again writing music! my experience is (in writing texts not music) that any place is good, and the caffe is great place too

as about towels: the old ones are the best often because more absorbent, it is not easy to know when one buys wich will be absorbant and which not, no problem with the old ones, so I keep them until they begin to thread away