Saturday, September 01, 2007

Zippidy-doo, I'm here

I'm here, and now living in my new apartment.
The last few days were a bit of a whirlwind, but they went surprisingly smoothly. The drive was long, cramped, and generally uneventful; good news.
Yesterday, we got in town just before dinner so after checking into the bed and breakfast my parents had booked for their time here, we went for dinner and finished with just enough time to get to my apartment to see the place and sign the lease; which we did.
We then moved all of my stuff from the car into the apartment, leaving it all packed in boxes. Today was shopping day - we had to buy the furniture that we didn't have room in the car to bring. The bare minimum was a bed, desk, and chair. We went to about 5 or 6 used furniture places, from the second, I got a comfy wheely chair. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the kind of desk I wanted, and the kind of desk I wanted wouldn't fit anyway; the room is smaller than I had expected/hoped. It took us pretty much the whole day, but eventually I got my desk from Jysk - metal frame with glass workspace; and a bed (box and mattress and frame) from some direct from warehouse type places with a mismatching sale deal. I will sleep on it tonight, and see if it was a smart buy. Nevertheless, I needed the bed and it was the only one I could afford haha.
We also shopped for groceries. My parents took me to the grocery store and bought me a massive chunk of groceries so that I have something to start from. I am so grateful for that and all that they have done to help me with this move. The evening consisted of some cleaning, putting groceries away, organizing my kitchen, putting the desk together - my dad and I are not good at these type of things... but it got done and it's all good!
Anyway, tomorrow is the last day of family fun. We are going to another city in southern Ontario to visit my uncle. I should sleep.
I still haven't met my roommate. Some of his stuff is here, but I guess he's waiting til school starts before he moves in. Once he gets here we will decide on phone and internet. For now, there are mysteriously unsecured wireless connections. I feel a little guilty about using them, but it's only until I get my own set up.
Good night.

No comments: