Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I'm bionic!
I currently have a Continuous Blood Glucose sensor poked into my right oblique.... who am I kidding, lovehandle. CGM technology has been something that I have followed rather closely for a while and it was on my list of things that I would love to try out for a while if I had the money. The problem is that all things in diabetes management technology are rather costly in the beginning stages. As a result, I had put thoughts of this and pumping out of my mind...
< End Tangent>>
...out of my mind since I was have been happy with my control via regular injections. A few days ago, a diabetic friend of mine called me up and mentioned that Medtronic (one of the leader's in insulin pumps and CGM technology) was looking for someone to be a guinea pig for their new Guardian CGM system. Long story short, I am now wearing a sensor and I'm hooked up to an insulin pump (not actually connected to it though) and they are going to present my results at a conference this weekend on Lake Muskoka.
The immediate benefits are that for the next 4 days, I get a peek into how exactly my sugars react to everything - food, exercise, stress, bitching - all I have to do is press a button and look at the screen. On a more surface level, I get to go to the conference meaning that they are putting me up in a resort for a night and feeding me some nice food. I was originally under the impression that I would actually be given the Guardian CGM system with some supplies, but I shan't be one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I won't make any real comments tonight because the sensor isn't even transmitting information yet, that starts early tomorrow morning.

New information - A piece of mine is being performed tomorrow night. One of the other comp students was quite helpful in getting together players for my ensemble piece "Auskultu Bonvolu".

I'm done writing, I need to get laundry into the dryer before it gets any later... I'm already past laundry curfew...
I'll post about both of those topics tomorrow.

No comments: