Monday, February 18, 2008

Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce you to two of my newest friends.

I think I will name the pig Pigette in honour of my old friend Piggy. I'm not sure what I will name the penguin.
I didn't give them eyes; I'm not sure if I should buy some bobbly eyes, or just sew some eye-type thing on them... They're a little ragged because I only have a paring knife with which to cut the loose strings. I stuffed them with plastic bags. If I had gone with the fibrefill stuffing, they would be a lot smoother and softer, but I had so many damned plastic bags filling the cupboards - I figure this would be a good way to solve that problem.

It's been a long time since I had time to knit, so I made sure to spend some time doing my favourite pastime this weekend . These stuffed animals are a great project because they take relatively little time (a few hours, or an evening) and you have something very concrete to show what you've done. Bigger projects seem to take forever.

These are also a little more involved in terms of the pattern. You do something a little different each row, so you don't get stuck in a routine. That is both good and bad - when I work on scarves or thongs, or things that I don't need to think about too much, I can do something else, like talk or watch a movie, but because you're not as actively involved, it's easy to forget where you are in the pattern, or what you're doing. With these toys, I found it difficult to do while watching t.v.
This was the first time I brought out my knitting box since the trip out here... it reminded me that I had started a blanket, or something on the drive up, so now I'm going to continue it. There's something about knitting a big project in winter which just makes you feel warm and cozy.

Hmm, I guess that's it. It was a good weekend. I went to Toronto yesterday to see my friend's Opera shorts performed. It was very enjoyable and I'm glad to have actually made it to Toronto. Good times all around.

4 comments:

Mai said...

how about Penquin? I think Penquin sounds cute if it was a girl. If it was a boy, he could be a gay boy.

looks good, by the way! I like seeing visuals! how big are they?

Jon told me that you know how to play pipe organ, is that true? I would love to see you play one day!

Michael Park said...

Wow, pipe organ, that's a blast from the past - that was even before I started my blog!
I used to take lessons, but I was never as good at is as I was at piano. Next time you and me are in the vicinity of a pipe organ, I'll play you some ditties!
Penquin stands about 10 inches tall if that helps.

Mai said...

so Penquin it is. hahaha.

There's a nice pipe organ in Culture Center concert hall in HK, I'll look forward to go to "Michael Park Piano Concerto" there and you can play one as an encore! or two!

"Bravo----!"

Anonymous said...

Nice work Mikey J. I vote on your next project to be a flamingo. Because I get a vote (apparently).