Thursday, February 21, 2008

I have a feeling that that short bout of knitting will be the last for a while... Tomorrow is the last day before reading week; once we return to classes thereafter, it will be high-gear to the end of the year. I don't really want to think about that, so I won't.

Tonight there was a fairly informal performance of the student composers. I showed the film which I worked on earlier this year, and while technical difficulties prevented me from being able to show it on the projector, my laptop screen sufficed and I got some very positive feedback. Nevertheless, it was something completely different that gave me a gentle little ego-rub tonight.
While talking over beverages after the concert, it became clear that one of the profs had mentioned one of my pieces in his lecture as an example of successful treatment of an extramusical idea. The piece was my Alzheimer's Variations. It's always nice for someone to acknowledge that a piece of yours is successful, but for a prof to do that in front of a class, thats something special. Also, it's not like I wrote this piece for an assignment for him, or even while studying with him.. in fact the only time he would have seen this piece was in my audition portfolio. I wondered for a long time whether this piece was truly successful, or if it just rested on the title, but I think I'm now willing to accept that it is a success on its own merit.

So, reading week is starting soon. I am so unorganized, I need to figure out when I am actually leaving for Montreal. There's also a fair bit to get done over reading week... but without deadlines fast approaching, I'm setting myself free into the land of the French, haha! Anyway, even just being in a different city will make doing homework fun, if it comes to that... All of my friends in Montreal are university grad students, so I'll be around the university, and I'm sure I'll see a piano if I'm anywhere near the school of music.

No comments: