Thursday, February 07, 2008

Updates left and right

The little son-of-a-bitch is gone. Good riddance I say. I love dogs, but for the life of me, I can not justify that creature's existence as a dog. It remained afraid of me until my roommate took him home in his little dog carrying bag.
Tomorrow is Friday, the due date for my Piano Trio. On my prof's advisory, I got a short extension until Monday. I could be ready for tomorrow, but he wanted to see me again. This means I will have time this weekend to make it look good and pay attention to finalizing details - those things I might have glossed over if I needed to submit it by tomorrow.

I am working this weekend - I got work as a last minute accompanist for some Royal Academy of Dance exams this Sunday. It is probably not in my best interest to do this - 14 hours over the weekend will surely get in the way of the Piano Trio and school work, but not enough to have a negative effect on my school work. The reason it's not in my best interest is because it comes to about 80 pages of music which I will be damn close to sight-reading. Even if I had nothing else to do, that's a little much to try and polish over a weekend. RAD music is BAD - terrible music. I think it was written by random dance pianists. The music is weak, lacking compositional craft. Written in odd keys with awkward hand positions and whatnot - the kind of music on needs to practise = great for long time dance accompanists who are in need of something to involve themselves in their trade, but in the end - not good for the musicality of the dancers or the pianist.
Anyway, for each of the three exam sets I will be accompanying, I will get a few hours of rehearsal with the dancers = time to play through the pieces and make notes of which I need to practise before the exam. One thing I've learnt from accompanying dance is - while I will hear my mistakes and imperfections, the teacher and dancers will hear the musicality that live accompaniment brings. Still, I will be spending far too much time playing the piano this weekend.
I am also going to accompany my Double Bass playing friend for a concerto movement. Also fairly bad music- written by a bassist to display the instrument, not the musicality, but oh well. It's very Romantic and fun to play, so it works out!

I was planning on being done the trio and wasting away the weekend, but my how the tables have turned....

1 comment:

k2 said...

I'm impressed with your musical skills! Good luck with your exams and sorry to hear about your doggie issues.
Kelly K