Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Turkey Day!

My sugars were high all night, but now they're coming down.

I've done a few double takes today - after checking my sugar this morning, I went to check my pump for when the last bolus I took. Unfortunately, the insulin pen doesn't remember that... I used to have the Innovo, which did, but it's been discontinued and my old one's internal, non-replaceable battery finally died - it lasted many many years!

I've planned for today to be rocky. Once I'm over the sensation of renewed freedom, I'll stick in a CGM so I can know how things are really working out.

In other news, this is Thanksgiving weekend and I really do have a lot to be thankful about:
-While I've been obsessed with the problems I've been having controlling my diabetes, I'm thankful for not having any complications, after having the condition for nearly 20 years.
-Even at it's worst and most complicated, diabetes care is worlds better than in many areas of the world. I'm thankful that I will be able to live a long and healthy life.
- I'm thankful for the drunk-dial I got from my sister yesterday evening. They have the annual Thompson Thanksgiving dinner with far too much wine. I usually get a phone call and it's damned entertaining!
- When I moved to London, I made some friends, but it took a while to feel settled and comfortable in my surroundings. Moving to Vancouver has been so much more wonderful. I'm thankful that the people in Vancouver have been so wonderful and friendly. Even yesterday, I went to a thanksgiving dinner hosted by someone I just met, yet by the end of the evening, it was like sitting around with good friends.
-I'm also thankful that I'm able to get paid to study and practice what I love!

Thanks for reading!
Thankfully yours,
Michael

No comments: