Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Yesterday morning, I had a first appointment with my new Vancouver endocrinologist. The only complaint I have is that it was at 9 in the morning!

Obviously they don't know me very well. Really - first thing in the morning? hours before I normally wake up? What silly scheduling!

He was super nice and our diabetes aesthetic approaches are in line - something I've lost sight of recently:
Diabetes should be something that is incorporated into one's daily life. Considering it is something that you'll live with for the rest of your life, obsessing over it will cause more stress than it will benefit.

Over these last few years, I've been getting more and more caught up in the diabetes blogosphere which seems to be characterized by the control-obsessed minority if diabetics out there (no offense intended). I'm certainly not defending the considerable portion of the diabetic population who are ignorant of their own condition and don't put in the effort to make any improvements whatsoever, but I notice myself obsessing and it leads me - not to improvements, but apathy.

There are many routes to success in life and diabetes. At this point in the road, it's good to remind myself that the obsessive route isn't the one for me. The route of regularity is also not mine, at least not at this point in my life... I'll continue to search out my route; maybe I've already found it and just need the words to describe it. Who knows?!

No comments: