Friday, February 20, 2009

Productivity has been slowing down.
Bad Michael, Bad!

There was the most delightful argument on the street in front of my apartment a little while ago.  There are about three separate bus stops within a stone's throw and there is an awkward little quasi loading zone in between some of them.  It's not marked 'no parking' or 'loading zone' so you can pretty much do what you desire there.  Many people use it to pick up their Indian Food from the restaurant below me.  Anyway, a bus was within inches of the bumper of the car which I can only assume had quickly stopped in that area.  The bus driver must have been quite angry, having expected to have just pulled up to the spot.  Being that close to the bumper, the bus would have had to have backed up, but I think he expected the car to move for him.  There was honking first and then swearing and yelling and people standing around until the car's driver told off the bus driver and squealed his tires as he pulled away.

I love living downtown!

I went through and deleted about 35 friends from my facebook account.  I kept the people that 1) I like and want to keep in touch with or b) are valuable networking commodities.  It was odd, kind of like I was telling each person I deleted that I didn't like them and that they weren't even worth anything to my career.  There were also some people who I didn't even remember - which isn't completely odd with a memory like mine, but I suppose with nearly 500 'friends', it's hard to keep track of everyone.
Even as I was going through, there were a lot of London, Ontario people who I pre-selected to delete, but not today.  When I leave London, I will clear my list of those people as well!
It's sick that friendship/acquaintanceship can be given such a tangibility in the online world.
In the real world, I would have and indeed HAVE forgotten about many of these people - their disappearance from my consciousness took no effort whatsoever, but online one must turn it into a conscious decision.
I've always been taught to never burn my bridges, so it was actually difficult to set so many fires today, but I think it was worth it.

No comments: