Monday, December 03, 2007

Damnit, I need an ice-tray.
Tonight was a long evening of class with a lot to digest, therefore I would love to drink something on the rocks. I have Rye, but no rocks. I wonder if it would work with frozen veggies.

I got in over an hour of walking today, I walked home in the late morning from my first part of the day. Then I walked about 20 minutes before I hopped on the bus that takes me very close to home.

I really have nothing new for my composition lesson tomorrow. My prof gave me one very specific task to do on the piece and I wasn't able to do it. I spent most of the week on orchestration. I sat down at a piano to do that task three times during the week and it just didn't come. I'm not sure if this is writer's block or what, but I feel guilty about it. I will try again tonight and tomorrow morning, otherwise I'm certain there will be something we can discuss in terms of composition in general, what I should focus on over the break, or some such thing.

As of right now, teaching and orchestration are done for the term. Tomorrow afternoon, I will have finished with comp lessons for the term, then all that remains to finish up is my electro piece.
Of course, I say all of this like the work will magically end once classes end... NOT!
this is going to be probably the busiest 'breaks' I've ever had. Let me list:
1)Orchestration - making yet more decisions and making the score and parts all pretty
B)Composition - ever developing, I'll have to force myself to do that task once I'm in a house with a piano.
iii)Commission 1- I need to edit the dance film soundtrack to better fit the timings of the film. I have a feeling this might be more work than I had anticipated on doing, but I think my work in the electro course has given me better ideas and tools to make things go more smoothly.
d)Commission 2- The Autumn song cycle; I've done a lot of the prep work and now I just need to write the music. Like B) I have a feeling that when I'm in a house with a piano, things should start to flow. Not having a piano in my apartment is a bad thing. I think I thrive on comfort - that of my own piano or the pianos at U of M. UWO doesn't have that for me. I think I need to invest in a good digital piano next year (eek money) which I can use both as an instrument as well as midi input for notation.

As well as that work element, I need to do lots of knitting and socializing while I'm in Winnipeg. As daunting as it may seem, I'm excited for the change of pace that December will bring. The pace will be changing in both directions, interesting...

No comments: