Sunday, August 19, 2007

I finished burning all of my cd's into my laptop so I don't have to bring the actual discs with me; they can live in a filing cabinet downstairs. I also got around to cleaning out another drawer of my desk.
The bottom drawer has had the exclusive purpose over the last few years of housing everything to do with composition that I've been finished with. I had a few revelations as a result of reviewing and organizing these papers.
-I really haven't written very much, only nine pieces of which I would only consider 3 or 4 of them to be of any quality.
-I have learned and improved a lot over these composition attempts.

One of the first pieces I wrote was the piece for First Steps, the dance project from my second year of university. That piece was a double edged sword, marking the beginning of both improvising and composition. The project itself was a glorified way of me organizing my musical/improvisatory thoughts. Originally, I was going to find some pieces of music to play for the choreographer, but then I decided it would be easier to fit music to the choreography. I played some little snippets of music for the choreographer and she liked them. This gave me the permission I needed to play around more at the keyboard. By doing this, I was able to keep what I liked and write it down.
As a direct result, it led to me taking formal composition studies at university and it was my starting point for the structured improvisations that I use for almost every dance class now. I am not saying that I am super awesome at either thing yet, but seeing the amount that I've developed in 3 years is quite exciting.

Anyway, I've avoided packing for long enough.

No comments: