Thursday, March 13, 2008

Blogging seems to be getting pushed to the back burner lately, and I can't foresee any change in that for a while.
I think that I will have a handle on everything that I need to get done this year, although it will be busy.
Something I forgot to factor into the equation was recitals - there are a lot of them going on and I would like to go to more than I can. Nevertheless, I'm finding it easier to say no to them because of one key factor...
They don't do recital receptions here!!! No dainties, no beverages, no finger sandwiches... I remember basically spending every evening of recital season at the school - practising before, after and sometimes during the recitals and then socializing and eating thereafter; it was economical and delicious. It also made recitals into a social event, which is what Manitoba is known for.
Honestly, that doesn't really have any bearing on my decisions to go or not to recitals; it's just a little thing I miss about Manitoba.

I've been doing some phoning around about apartments, and it's not looking promising for a bachelor or 1-bedroom, but I know I'm looking too early. I need to just ignore this until I'm done school.

I sent an email to a prof and it's looking promising that there will be an improv ensemble next year. Once classes are over, I will meet with her and discuss what involvement I might have with the group. Best case scenario would be if I got to be a TA for the class instead of teaching sight singing.

Enough of that, back to work for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No reception? No food? How do they get people to go to these things!?! The reception was/is the best part of the recital. I recently went to Cassandra Lapsley's flute recital, and the best part (aside from her fantastic playing) was the reception at the end. I got to 'scmooze' with all of my old friends and even a few old teachers. It made me miss that aspect of university a lot. I can't believe you don't have receptions there - i swear more people would go if they did! (especially you. you would have loved the fabulous array of etible items at cassandra's recital. mmmm good.)