Thursday, March 27, 2008

Hello World

I'm feeling pretty good. Logically, I shouldn't, but who says logic has any place in the real world?
I had class this morning at 9:30, then I did some quick library research and found exactly what I needed, although now I need a translation of Ukrainian Folk Songs. Damned presentation/research project!! Every new bit of information I find ends up uncovering something new that I need to find out. Nevertheless, I quite like it.
Then I came home and did a little work on that project, watched a little tv, ate a little supper and then eventually went back to school for the evening.... hmm that timing doesn't work out -
Oh ya, I went to a cafe for lunch-ish working.
[In case you haven't caught on, this post will be a little bit 3am inspired randomness]
This morning, I saw an ad for an apartment downtown. I've been calling for prices over the last few weeks - basically any for rent sign I see. I've been a little discouraged, but today I am excited. I think I found the place I want to live. I've fallen in love with one of the streets on which I walk when I go downtown, they haven't been advertising rentals or who I could contact about that sort of thing. Today I ended up finding the missing link and found out that one of the apartments I've been waiting to see advertising has very decently priced bachelor apartments. I guess I should wait to see the inside, but I've already decided that if one is available for September, that's where I will live. At the same time, I'm a little antsy to wait until July. I'm not going to stay in London all summer next year, so I might sublet this lease instead of subletting the end of next year's. Oy, it's all up in the air, but oh well.
Ok, back to this evening - wait, I hadn't gotten there yet.
I met with my electro-singer and we recorded a bunch of stuff tonight for my piece. She is the same singer who is also singing Andrea's song cycle, except when she sings that, she is not my electro-singer.
The recording went quite well. The process by which I'm writing this piece is odd, mostly because the time frame is short and I can't expect to just throw it at the singer a few days before we perform... her own recital is the same day as this performance! (You're probably saying "What a trooper", and you'd be right!) Having not started until late evening, we finished recording at midnightish. When I checked the bus schedule, it confirmed that I was too late for the last bus to downtown. I pondered the idea of just staying all night and then taking a morning bus home. I continued my own work basically editing what I recorded and putting it into my Max patch. I finished after 2am, and it was 2:15 by the time I got packed up and was out of the building. I was home before 3. There were some entertainingly stumbly people walking the opposite direction - ok, there was one, but he was entertaining enough.
I really wanted a frosty, but there was a lineup of like a billion (6ish) punks, so I just continued home. I almost got skunked! It was unnerving. We were both a little startled, but for everyone's benefit, neither of us seeped liquid,spray, or anything else from our bottoms.
Ok, so when I was at the cafe today, there were a couple of cops sitting at a nearby table. I'm not even sure if it irked me or not, but I left my table for approximately 18-23 seconds to blow my nose in the bathroom and when I got back, one of them told me that I should be careful leaving my valuables unattended. Maybe I should feel bad about taking them for granted. Maybe if they hadn't have been police officers, I would have asked the people in the room to watch my things for a moment, but pooey on him.
I'm actually more resentful not that people are so dishonest, but that people are so distrusting of those around them. It's true, if my shit got stolen, I would be singing a different tune, but why should I be so suspicious of everyone around me? The cafe was filled with nose-in-book students and middle aged women, ok and a few ditsy Western girls (but there's no escaping them in London, Ontario).
I've been to Europe a few times, so bigger North American cities, I've spent a fair bit of time in downtown Winnipeg and I've never had anything stolen from me - and I'm not willing to accept that it is dumb luck, or simply a matter of time before it happens to me. I think I am a good judge of character. It is certainly not that I am not suspicious; I know when and when not to leave a table unattended for a short period of time- SHORT. People who leave their laptop on a desk and wander off to talk to friends in a different section of the library - they are the ones who should be getting those warnings.
The version of this super-suspicion people seem to have that irked me was when I was scorned for leaving my laptop in the electro lab at school during a recital. The lab is always locked, you have to go through two combination-entry-pad doors. The only people who ever go in there are 6 students and 2 profs who have class in there. It is more likely that my laptop would have been lifted by someone in the recital hall. Either way, neither of these situations are logically fathomable.
Ok, now I'm tired, I will go to sleep now and stop blathering away. I dare say, this was on the verge of .... ranty...!

No comments: