Wednesday, March 05, 2008

real sick...ick!

First off, bonus points to anyone who can identify where that title comes from...

As the title implies, I have some kind of stomach flu or something, I'm really hoping it's only one of those short lived ones, as I'm feeling no-where near as bad as I did last night. Let's just say that if the flu manifested itself in a more creative way, Mozart might have been jealous of the ease with which music spewed forth from me last night.
The worst part was that I felt the inevitability coming for the entire wait for bus, bus ride and subsequent walk home, totalling slightly under an hour.
This morning, I was convinced that I would go to class, case closed. I showered and even made my way to the bus stop. As I stood there, both shivering and sweating, my stomach queased- as if to dare me to try and make it through a 3-hour seminar class. I backed down from the dare and climbed back into bed.

Anyway, I shan't continue with such unpleasant matters.

I've been feeling better since waking up this afternoon. I decided since I wasn't in the mood to force myself to do something productive, I listened to an entire opera - score in hand.
Peter Grimes - It was wonderful! My intention with taking it out was to see how Britten writes for a large voice, as I will be doing the same in the summer. My impression with the soprano who sang Ellen in this recording was that she didn't have a terribly large voice, but then again, what the Fach do I know?!? (haha, sorry, terrible terrible pun)
I also asked my prof what considerations one should have when writing for large voice, and did some reading on Fachs online, but the general idea I'm getting is that there doesn't need to be a difference in how you approach it, rather just an awareness that the voice has more presence and therefore, can still be heard over thicker textures (orchestra).
I'm glad that I didn't only listen to the arias focusing on Ellen, the Opera was spectacular. I loved the economy of Britten's music. Themes and musical fragments reappear, creating a sense that the opera is a whole; everything is related. I also loved that it was in English. I understood the dramatic action throughout, but I think I missed out on any kind of moral statement. It seemed that the story/opera should have made one, but it wasn't openly apparent to me.

In general, I have been doing badly with listening lately. Earlier in the year, I was filling up all my spare time with listening to recordings from the library, score in hand - I seem to have faltered from that good habit. I will try to get back into that habit, but I'm not sure how much free time for listening I will be having before the end of term. Nevertheless, summer will be all about working and listening and writing.

Tomorrow morning, my piano trio is rehearsing and I need to go listen. Therefore, I need to be healthy. Fortunately, that's only a one-hour commitment in the morning; if needed, I can just come home to bed right afterwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you put it in your mouth...
Don't you put it in your mouth...
Til you ask someone you love
Til you ask someone you love
If it may be good to eat
Like a muffin or a grape

You could get sick.. ICK

... real sick...

ick

Bonus points for ME!!!!

you rock mikey, much love and hugs

Chris