Friday, March 28, 2008

An open letter to those who would see the CBC Radio Orchestra dismantled

To whom it may concern,
There are no words apt enough to convey my disappointment in the CBC's decision to dismantle the CBC Radio Orchestra. I sincerely hope that there remain words that might describe the severity of this decision and how it will effect my life, the cultural life of Canada and, as a result, the lives of all Canadians.

In an age where many of my peers - the youth of this country - are stricken with voter apathy, I vote. While I have seen many of my friends move to other countries in order to 'experience life' and broaden their horizons, I have stayed here and, until now, felt satisfied.

I am at a crossroads. I have been to other countries where the Arts are cherished not only by the artists, but by the government and the population at large. I have felt that sense of empowerment, feeling that my road in life as a composer is a valued one - That is certainly not something I have felt here in Canada.

Last year I faced a choice between travelling the world and attending graduate studies here in Canada; somehow I made the decision to stay. In a year's time, I will once again face such a decision and I can assure you that variables such as the fate of the CBC Radio Orchestra will play a major role in how I will make my choice.

I have long understood that if I ever want to teach in a Canadian university, my credentials must be from a North American University. While that limited my options a year ago, I now wonder whether or not it is worthwhile to remain in a country which would dismantle the last remaining broadcasting ensemble in North America.

Please understand, that what may seem like a standard business move - aimed at increasing revenue and decreasing cost - is in fact, much more. The way you treat cultural voices and icons, such as the CBC Radio Orchestra, is a bold statement heard by everyone about how you treat and value the artists within your community.

I will not live in a country which states so clearly that it will not support its musicians . These artists give so much to the countries culture by preserving and developing its artistic heritage. Furthermore, by cutting programs like the CBC National Young Composer's Competition, you are sending me and all young musicians a very clear message - that you neither value the community to which I aspire, nor are you willing to support my creative development.

I once again find myself at a loss for words. I am disappointed in the fact that you would even think of dismantling one of Canada's most important musical traditions, and am disheartened beyond what words can explain to think that this decision was actually made.

I can only hope that one day, I will be able to write a piece of music that might affect people so deeply as this news has affected me. I know that when I do write that piece, it will be in a community that values myself and all artists. Will I be writing it in Canada? I leave that up to you.

The decision to dismantle the CBC Radio Orchestra is not only wrong, but disrespectful. Canadian culture deserves far better. I implore you to act responsibly and reverse this decision immediately.

Sincerely,
Michael Park

No comments: