Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Splendid Day

It was long, I left my house at 8:04am and I got home at just after midnight, but it was a good day!
I will assemble some of the highlights for your enjoyment:

Theater camp was fun, I wasn't too tired. I was involved in the teacher's skit that we presented for the kids. Maybe it was the ridiculous costume (tight leather jacket and orange/purple wig) or the fact that it was a bunch of little children that we were entertaining, but I was able to just let loose and be silly! The skit was set up as a dating show, I was bachelor number three, a rocl star!
To contrast, any previous experiences I've had with improvised theater has been uncomfortable with me - my use of language is not as fluid as I would like. I also got to know some of my coworkers a little better and then I wandered around downtown and had lunch and killed a lot of time before rehearsal.

HAPPY FRINGE! Today was the kickoff day for the fringe festival, more highlights:

We did a media performance on the free stage at Old Market Square. The performance itself was not the best due to only 2 singers being miked and never having seen/rehearsed in the space. It was also a tough crowd, at least inasmuchas it's tough to keep their attention.
Anyway, the good part - Butterflies seemed to like me today, a lot!
A Butterfly landed next to me and I put my finger out, but it flew away. Soon after, someone pointed out that it was on my shoulder - I felt so at-one with nature! She later moved onto my music book and then a different butterfly landed on my other shoulder! it was amazing!

Later, we went to a few fringe shows. I have to give huge advertising to the one at the Gas Station Theater - Die Roten Punkte.
It was amazingly professional and funny and non-stop entertaining. I would have been fine with just having experienced the show normally, but one of the characters picked me out of the audience to sing a special song to (Carpenters - Why do birds...) on the glockenspiel! I must have turned a little red, but it was hilarious and they kept it going all through the show. I was impressed with both of the actors' conviction and delivery. They never broke character and generally it was just super!
I highly recommend seeing this one if you going to see anything at the Fringe, oh and of course Hair!

Those were the highlights of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what color was your shirts today?

Michael Park said...

It was white with some yellow and blue mild stripes. I bought it in Berlin.

Anonymous said...

maybe the butterflies thought you were a flower, or a plant.

by the way, my bird thinks Jon is a tree.