Tuesday, June 03, 2008

late spring cleaning

You wouldn't know it from how my apartment currently looks, but I'm really feeling the need to shed clutter lately.

I've wanted to wipe my computer clean for a long time, I think that might have been part of the desire to switch to Mac. The reason I haven't gotten around to the wipe is that I didn't know where my recovery disk and half of my program disks were. After having torn apart my bedroom looking for my disks, thankfully my mother found them in Winnipeg - YAY! Now that I know they're on their way, in a week's time, I will have a fresh, clean computer.
I've narrowed it down to 5 programs that I can't live without for my writing, music notation, and sound editing needs. Once my hard drive is wiped, I will only install those programs, and I will be very picky about what else I install on my computer. I've been going through and deciding which files I need to copy over onto the new system.
I think I'm ready to dump the music... I currently have all my music both in itunes and windows media formats. I think I'll just keep whatever is on my ipod - I think that's most of it anyway.
Part of me would like to just get rid of everything I don't need, but I still hold on to some writings from high school, assignments from U of W and U of M - I don't need them, but I guess the fact that years of memories only take up maybe a megabyte... it doesn't seem so bad to be a pack rat.

On the other hand, I do have more physical stuff than I need. It's getting to be time to throw out some clothes. I'll start by hanging up the clothes that I like and wear. Then I'll evaluate my need for the things that don't have hangers, and then I'll evaluate my need for more hangers...

2 comments:

Jonathan Evans said...

you have writings from High School? Holy crap! I barely have anything left from college. You sir, are a pack rat extraordinaire!

If you need a new computer, why not take out a small loan? Computers are dirt cheap nowadays, unless you want a nicely packed rip-off machine-o-mac.

Michael Park said...

Why thank you! My computer still works fine, and once I wipe it, it will be spectacular!
The only reason I would get a new one is to switch to Mac, which is better for my purposes. Nevertheless, I'll survive quite well with what I have.